10/31/2007

NEW SHOWS, NEW SEASONS, Part 2


Ohh-kay! Sorry for this late post. Recently rediscovered my old addiction to Japanese animé, which has made me neglect keeping up with the hot new American shows. I'm reserving the animé for another post, so here's my take on the three shows I previously mentioned, based on what I've watched so far.

Dexter - A hugely underrated show. Everyone I've given a copy of Season 1 to has enjoyed it immensely. Plus, it has one of the best intros I've ever seen. The writing of this second season is as solid as the first and is based on Jeff Lindsay's second Dexter book, Dearly Devoted Dexter, with each episode carefully thought out and flawlessly executed.

Bionic Woman - I only have a vague memory of the '80s Bionic Woman, along with The Six Million Dollar Man, but I'm pretty sure this new one isn't as campy as the original. Not my most favorite show right now (the story's too simple and drags now and again, and again), but what keeps me going at it is that it a) has Battlestar Galactica actors in it, and b) bionic women are hot. Of course.

Reaper - Is a cross between Clerks and Dogma, and it's no surprise, since Kevin Smith directed and produced the first ep. Though Reaper is made up of predictable stand-alone episodes (which I hate), its characters are interesting and genuinely funny, and once in a while it's nice to see a show like this that doesn't take itself too seriously.

No comments: